"" Writer's Wanderings: Isafjordur, Iceland

Saturday, September 02, 2023

Isafjordur, Iceland

Another quick start to our day found us in the Marketplace buffet for breakfast again. We really prefer the dining room but we'd have to get up earlier and then worry that we had enough time to make it to our meeting point for our morning tour at nine. Dining room breakfast days will come in a bit. 

We left the ship, phone map in hand to find the meeting point for our BusTravel Iceland tour to the Dynjandi Waterfalls that we had booked through Viator (on Tripadvisor). While I'm studying the little blue dot on the map, Bob says, "That's our bus there." Sure enough it wasn't but several hundred feet from our ship along with all the other buses that were contracted for the ship's excursions.

The rather tall fellow in shorts and sandals standing at the bus door (mind you, it was a brisk fifty degrees with a cold wind blowing) welcomed us onboard and checked our names off his list. We were some of the last ones on and ended up in the very back row but it was still a good seat with a window for viewing. 

The drive to the falls was about an hour long and we passed through two tunnels, one that was about 5km long and so narrow in the middle that there was a spot where you pulled over to let the other traffic pass. It was a trip down memory lane as we recalled our drive through the same tunnel in 2016 as we drove the Ring Road. For that matter, most of this tour would be to places we had seen before but we would enjoy the revisit.

The hour long drive was made very entertaining and informative. Our driver/tour guide was extremely knowledgeable with history and geology and all sorts of other interesting tidbits. What made it really fun was his sense of humor in delivering it. Reminded me of my high school German teacher from whom I learned so much simply because she made it fun with her humor.

It was still cloudy and threatening rain as we arrived at the falls but it was that way on our first visit as well. At least that's what Bob remembers. We have found that we have differing memories of that trip. Some of mine are backed up by my blog but others aren't so we agree that we each have our own and will keep it that way.

The largest waterfall of the area resembles a bridal veil. There are several other waterfalls that stairstep down from there. All were running at full flow I assume since the weather had been rainy.  

Neither of us remembers the bricked trail leading about a fourth of the way up to make it wheelchair assessable at least for a little way. After the brick walk ends the trail returns to the gravel and stone and boulders we remembered. Some were a little wet and muddy and we saw several people with muddy bottoms who had slipped. 

We carefully climbed about a third of the way up until the path ahead looked more like a steep cliff climb. No way were we going to attempt it. We didn't the last time either. We didn't think the view would be any better up close and was probably a lot wetter.

Coming down, we took some time to take a few pictures of the lesser falls and just enjoy the view which was still spectacular despite the weather. There are several wooden structures that appeared to be large outhouses. With another hour and a half left on our tour, I decided I would visit anyway. To everyone's relief, they were flush toilets, heated and with running water to wash hands. Score!!

On our way to the farm which was a part of our tour, we enjoyed more humor and history and anticipated the hot tea, coffee and cake that were promised. The farm turned out to be like a bed and breakfast with cabins you could rent. The little cafe served us all hot beverages and the little cakes that were almost like a cookie. It was just enough to warm up with and satisfy us until lunch. 

Much to everyone's surprise and delight, Thomas sat on the patio with us and played guitar and sang. What a guy! We had learned along the way that he'd had quite a varied employment history, including blacksmithing whale harpoons and whaling. The musician in him hadn't been mentioned.

We finished our drinks and cakes and meandered down to the barn where there were sheep out in the corral and a hen house with turkeys as well which got Bob to thinking about Thanksgiving.

Our tour ended where we'd begun and we walked back to the ship for lunch and afternoon activities which included writing for me and exercising for Bob (after a nap of course) and then we both went to afternoon tea. Afternoon tea is always a danger. They bring a three tiered tray of pastries, little sandwiches and scones with clotted cream and jam. It's a dinner spoiler. We tried to be good because we were going to Umi Uma which is the excellent Japanese restaurant onboard the Crystal ships.

Umi Uma was every bit as good as ever with a sushi/sashimi sampler, miso soup and Nobu's black cod special for me and his lobster dish for Bob. Tea and coffee and dessert and then we were off to listen to the piano player, Joel Spire, in the Avenue Saloon who plays one song after another seamlessly. It's quite enjoyable music.

With a little time left before the evening show, we sat and worked on the jigsaw puzzle again and met the couple who had finished putting the border together. Jigsaw puzzles on a ship are always a group project.

Our evening show was a wonderful presentation of Frank Sinatra's music by Bruce Hammond who was one of the singers in "The Rat Pack Is Back" in Vegas. He's very good at presenting the songs in the manner of Sinatra. 

Still a little lagged, we ended our night right after the show. It would be another early morning routine for another excursion. Who was the dummy that scheduled all these morning excursions? Ooops. That would be me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...